September 29, 2010

Marossport MTB Marathon 2010

Finally, a great weekend. For two weeks i watched the weather-sites, hoping that Marossport Marathon will stay dry. Asked a lot of people for their opinion if they'll go or not in case of rain. No one wanted to. So i prayed and prayed the last days for good weather. One week before the race I asked the guys from Velosport if they could take me to Gilau cause i had no ride and nobody knew if they would come. So they agreed as they were also prepared and decided to race. We went one day before to Huedin, to rest ourselfs for the race. All evening, and almost all night long we were on the web watching weather forecasts. We were optimistic.....a bit. After fooling around, we went to sleep before midnight. In the morning...the shock: wet outside!!!!. A shower during the night......well that could mess up things. Wtf? we're goin whatever it takes, we'll see how the weather changes on sight. At 8 and something AM we've arrived at the check-in, took the numbers and prepared the bikes for race. We had an hour to warm up so we crruised around a bit raising our heartbeat. Btw. i didn't had a heartrate monitor. The start was separate for elite 80 km, and hobby 80km and those for the 50km open race. I was starting in the 50. We've waited 15 minutes for the start but at least i could take a yellow:D. 10:15 - took a good start, went off with the first 5 or 6 riders. Than the first climb came, and probably lot of hobby-riders didn't knew that this will last about 13 kms and tried to pull themselfs in front so it was a bit crowded in the first 4-5 km. I maintained my rythm, so i climbed quite good the 13 kms went over like no-time. The first CheckPoint came and i passed by. Let some riders behind,so i went after a girl for a while (she won 1st place in her category). In the new section of the race i went in front of her. This new section was awesome, so the climbing part as the downhill section, my respects to Eli. Good choice man!! Please keep it for next year to cause i enjoyed it, its so technical so awesome. All the way down one song came in my mind, the one from AC/DC-Highway to hell. Hell of a ride it was. Next part, the track separation for those on the 80 and for those on the 50 track. A heavy climb i say, but maybe cause i was tired already. No problem, took my bike on my back and went on like that to rest myself a bit. After a few kms the girl appeared once again. So i tried to raise the rythm as long as possible. Went good till the top of the climb. After tha downhill section again, just wonderful. So i went down like crazy, slipping from one corner to another. Before the race i put my brake levers inside the shifters, so i could grab the lever with only one finger. It was a great change, more stability on the handlebar and you can brake with one finger damn good. I had to stop twice for 5 second to rest my palms cause i barely could hold the handlebar. My fork was without a poplock or lockout so it was a bit stiff. Arrived to the first asphalt-section, managed to rest myself a bit more, shaked my hands, drank and looked after the bike if it was ok. Lucky me, the 2nd CP after the asphalt was just seconds far. Took a banana and some energizing drink and went off. The hardest section of the race it had to come. The "Pape" climbing. The pro's do it on bike, some of the trained amateurs also. I was about 50-50,or something,  cause i ran out of fuel and my camelbak was almost empty and couldn't drink. I pushed  and carried the bike, i felt a bit dizzy,  but pulled myself together and tryied to hold on. (No more race without a heartrate monitor). The girl arrived again and passed by, some other riders also. I took the last drops out of my camelback and went off strong cause i knew it wasnt much till the end, and so it was. The next downhill section was gorgeus,  it felt wonderful, no rocks or roots. So i rested a bit for the finish. The 3rd CP after a short asphalt was just in the best position possible, stopped there, fixed my rear wheel took an orange, drank a bit and went off like crazy. This part was like last year, just on my Little uphills, little downhils. Than the hardest part of the race,  one last climb. I did it on bike, without the last part, when the track enters the forest cause i had a cramp in my right foot. So i ran along the bike. After the climbing jumped up the bike and pedaled till the finish. I managed to take over on last rider and that made me pedal even faster. I looked back and two riders pedalled after me like hell, so tried to mantain my position, not that it would count but hey! its a race. The girl finished before me, with 35 seconds advantage so i was to lazy in this race. Alltogether it was a good race, a fun race and also a hard race cause a girl got injured and was taken to the hospital, and lot of riders got small injuries. The girl is ok by now. She was one of my friends girlfriend, Andras. Though the forecast it rained just after i came in the finish, and those who were on the big track had part of it, a lot. I wood like to participate every year at the MAROSSPORT MTB MARATHON, so guys keep up the good work. Thanks to Velosport for the ride to Gilau, thanks to Andras for coming and bringing my girlfriend with you, thanks girl for beeing my n'1 supporter. Congratulation to all who have started and managed to finish, to those who won and to those will come back next year to try it again. Prepare yourselfs :D
P.S.: Btw. I finished 15th in my category and 36th in overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment